BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Italy and Paris - What a wonderful world...


I had been daydreaming about going to Italy and Paris for years! I dreamt of Venice's canals, the Coliseum in Rome and the Eiffel Tower.

It was when we crossed Italian border that I became totally in awe of my life. Walking through the history I had been obsessed with the last three years as a way to escape from my history was surreal. Floating in canals that I had only seen in the Bachelor, seeing the place where the Gladiators fought like in the books, movies, and TV shows I had watched about Rome, and to seeing Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel and David; this all seemed so far away from the life I had known for the last couple years, hell... in forever. I was there eating authentic fresh Italian food, drinking the best wine in the world, walking through history with a bunch of people I hope will be lifelong friends. I might have been running a fever, in constant fear of being robbed and then getting robbed in my hotel in Rome. There might have been terrifying moments while losing a tour mate who only has 20% of his sight while in Venice. There might have been drunken nights being stalked by scary Italian greasers and badass hangovers in Florence. But it is because of these moments that I was living, that I once again began to grow to love my own history again and more importantly love my life again.

Italy was a fast-paced dream come true. It literally feels like a dream thinking about how we strolled into quaint Lucerne, Switzerland before heading to Paris. We stayed in this hotel called the Jail Hotel and old jailhouse converted into a very "quirky" hotel.

I must admit that I could hardly sleep that night because I was so excited about seeing Paris and the Eiffel Tour. I am not sure what it is about that iron architectural beauty that has my heart pit pattering about seeing it for so long now. I had figurines in my apartment, picture on desktop at work and home, and charms for my jewelry; the Eiffel Tower was all over my life. It was beautiful place to escape to in my daydreams. The drive to Paris seemed the longest; I am not sure if it actually was or if it was the building anticipation to get there. Even as we were stuck on the outskirts of Paris in insane rush hour traffic you could see hints of Paris' beauty and history. We got to the hotel and were going to have dinner before heading out to see Paris by night via coach and river cruise.

When we got on the coach it was slightly drizzling but as we drove deeper into the city, Paris began to take my breath away. French history is some of my favourite. It was probably some of the only social studies classes I paid attention to in high school. I had read countless books factual and fictitious about the French Revolution and that mad genius Napoleon. To see places like the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, and Notre Dame had me beaming. When I first even saw a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, my heart felt like it may explode. And then as we got off to the coach to board the river cruise we got a full view of the of the beautiful Eiffel Tower shining in the Paris sky. I probably looked pretty idiotic, smiling from ear to ear with my headed constantly tilted up. I was finally here at the Eiffel Tower and I was finally feeling 100% of a feeling I not too long ago had lost hope in; happiness. We boarded the cruise and I made sure to get a seat with an amazing view of my beloved tower and a bit away from everyone else so I could enjoy the moment. As I sat in my seat the Eiffel Tour began its light show and started to sparkle like diamonds. I jumped out of my seat and pressed my face to the window like a little girl seeing a puppy. It was at the moment that I began to cry. Like pretty noticeable, almost sobbing crying. In front of all the tourist and my very tired tour mates I was a blubbering idiot and I didn't give a damn who saw it.

I worked through the depression, I fought through hopelessness, and I made my way not only back but to the Eiffel Tower sparkling like diamonds! I felt as victorious as someone who trekked up Mount Kilimanjaro as we floated by the Notre Dame. We got off the cruise and stood before a once again sparkling tower. I wanted to remember everything in that moment and everything I was feeling. In Paris in front of the Eiffel Tower I found my Joie De Vivre. I found happy again and it felt better than ever.

The next day I had a bit of a happiness hangover but I was so excited to see the Eiffel Tower by day. The weather was the coldest and dampest it had been throughout the trip. We got stuck for 1/2 hour behind a cement truck in the hotel parking lot, we rushed around the Louvre, went to the Eiffel Tower and got lost on the way to the Arc De Triomphe and on the metro and by the end of that day I was the most tired I have ever been. Everyone was going out the Moulin Rouge and I was supposed to meet everyone after but I was so tired that I fell asleep contently after my shower. I was in Paris. :)

The next day we drove back to London and I shed some tears as I bid adieu to my new friends who I had spent the best 12 days of my life with. I spent a quiet, snowy, laid back 3 weeks in England enjoying my family. I visited some adorable English towns and I saw the sights of London by day and night one more time before heading back home.

I have been back home for two weeks today. And when I look at pictures off my camera and posted by my friends on Facebook, it feels like it was all just a dream. As I sit here in the limbo of unemployment with a very uncertain future ahead of me, I often get scared and worried about what's next. But if someone told me January 1st where 2010 would take me I would have not believed them. So how can I doubt the limitless possibilities that lie in my future? I can't. I just have to keep moving and see where life takes me.

At the end of 2010 I am unemployed, broke, well-travelled with absolutely nothing left to lose and so much to gain. Hope, happiness and faith in humanity are restored and I am SO ready for 2011! Bring it on!

0 comments: