BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

TV Nerd Alert - How I Met Your Mother Casting Barney's Daddy!


I just read the other day, via my favourite new website www.TVLine.com , that John Lithgow will be playing the part of Barney's thus far unknown father.

Barney has spent most of his life believing that Bob Barker was his father. This season they brought back Barney's Daddy Issues when his half brother, James, found his biological father. This lead to a hilarious episode, where a delusional Barney convinced himself that his brother's African American father was also his Dad.

I have been a pretty major How I Met Your Mother fan for a couple of years now. It is like my new Friends. Personally, I would have liked to torture poor Barney with the whole Who's Your Daddy storyline a little more. I have two reasons for this, the first being the obvious reason that we get to see the vulnerable yet comedic acting of the talented Neil Patrick Harris (someone hand this man his friggin' Emmy already). The second reason being, that it is nice to see a chink in the lady-killer armour of Barney Stinson.

Alas, this is a storyline that the brilliant Carter Bays and his team of writers want progress with and they have now cast the awkwardly funny and sometimes spooky John Lithgow. I am not sure how I feel about this casting as a fan. I have always thought it would be funny if someone ultra-suave and much like Barney would show up, portrayed by someone like Pierce Brosnan. Another, ironic yet funny casting decision might have been Alan Thicke. The revelation of his Canadian heritage would create many hilarious storylines involving, his much mocked Canadian friend and ex, Robin. I am thinking ex-girlfriend hooking up with Barney's newly found Canadian Daddy would be SO funny.

So, Lithgow would not be my choice but he is a skilled comedic actor and I am sure the brilliant Carter Bays will make it interesting.

0 comments: