BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 13, 2010

Another change to make...


This weekend I went to one of my few still favourite places in Calgary, the Loose Moose Theater. Every time I go there I get this buzz, the buzz I used to get in Drama Class when we did improv.
My acting bug ended when I realized that I was terrible with someone else's script. Turns out I am kind of a control freak and I like being in charge of a scene. That is when I put my love of writing and improv together and started messing around with sketch scripts in my journals and on scrap pieces of paper at work.
When I got to work on scripts in college it was a dream come true. I thought for sure I had found a more realistic calling then sitcom writing. Um yeah not so much. In advertising the writer is never in control. The writer in this case has to make an attention grabbing script, that is not annoying and that sells the product in 30 seconds. And then the writer has to pass it by the know-it-all client, the know-it-all sales rep, etc... Until your creative piece of work is a "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" ad and any soul you might have put into that piece of writing is pretty much destroyed.
I realize now that I have made a mistake when it comes to my writing, besides my bad grammar and missing words here and there. The big mistake is, I stopped putting soul in the writing in my journals and scrap pieces of paper and I started putting my soul in the writing I was doing at work. I think that mistake really set me up to become jaded about my writing.
So, a big goal in my new life is to write for business if I get the chance again when I start applying for jobs; but I am always going to remember to have a creative outlet on the side to feed my soul. Whether it something as amazing as Second City Writing classes in Toronto or something as simple as a scrap piece of paper, I am going to always pursue the kind of writing that makes me happy.
And that is the goal... being happy.

0 comments: